Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Night at the Theatre with Ann Richards and Gloria Steinem

My step-mom is a huge fan of Ann Richards, democrat governor of Texas. Holland Taylor recently wrote a play about her and actually plays her in the one woman show Ann at Lincoln Center. Holland never met Ann, but was inspired by her after Ann passed away in the mid 2000's.

The play was amazing and to our surprise there was a talk back with Gloria Steinem, the woman who is a key leader in the feminist movement, who knew Ann. Holland came out before the talk back started, and said that this play is "about a woman who believed in living all the way," and that it is not meant to be political even though it evokes politics.

Holland Taylor dressed up as Ann Richards (in white), Gloria Steinem and
one of the producers of the play. Michelle and I sat in the second row.

Holland explained that of course women are inspired by her. She made women feel like they have ground to stand on, solid ground. Men already have the privilege to have ground to stand on, but young men who were around her felt like they could fly. Everyone was effected by her and that's why she wrote the play.

Gloria went on to say that alcohol, divorce and ambition never stopped letting her be a valuable woman. The talk back went on to discuss modern feminism, the Defense of Marriage Act as well as Senator Wendy Davis who is right now trying to continue filibustering an act in Texas that would close many abortion clinics.

One thing that Gloria and Ann hit me hard - that anyone and everyone should try to participate in politics, that we need people to represent us.

I don't see myself as being a politician, but I think the best way to serve my country is by making sure our government is transparent and reporting on their actions to inform the public.

And then, Gloria went on to say that women know that we can do what men do, but men don't know that they can do what women do. We, as a society, "don't expect men to be real parents" and they miss out because of it.

I always think about this: What am I going to do when I have children? Am I going to stay home? More and more I think to myself that I don't want to give up a full time job because I love working, then coming home to my family and telling them the amazing things I do. I know over time things may change over time, but right now I'm very happy working and wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment