Monday, June 3, 2013

Looking FOXie!

I don't usually do posts about outfits, but I think that it is important to mention (especially for young working people). It drives me nuts to think this way, but it's been on my mind. Some companies address appropriate business attire in manuals, or just casually mention it if you ask. So, I think it's important to address now since I completed my first week of work. [I will probably write about this a few times because dressing well in the summer is difficult because of the weather, which is a whole other post]

First day at FOX 5 outfit.
Anyway, last winter my step-mom took me shopping to find and teach me what are appropriate outfits for a business work environment. Why is this important? Well, you are judged by your appearance. I'm not saying people judge you at work because of "how pretty you are," which does happen, but honestly employers and co-workers look at how you dress.

What does this mean? Well, ask yourself: do your clothes fit you appropriately, meaning they aren't to tight or loose? Are they ironed? Are you showing to much skin and are undergarments showing?

These don't just apply to women, these ideas are important for men too. Getting wardrobe pieces hemmed or adjusted in some way make a huge difference in how they look on your body.

Also, a few weeks ago I realized that tailoring clothes makes a huge difference, don't be afraid to do that! I had to get my skirts taken in so they were smaller in the hips, and it completely changed out the skirts fit on my body.

So, on the right is a picture of my first day at FOX 5 outfit which was a silk white shirt, black slacks, black and silver belt with a cool clasp, and black sandal heels (1.5 inches because I have trouble walking in heels). I bought most of this outfit with Michelle, my step-mom, in the winter.

A business wardrobe should be practical. I purchased multiple suit pieces that are black and all work together. When you buy a few pieces that are the same color, you can mix and match with other colors - meaning you have a ton of options.

Some business clothes can be really expensive, but department stores have big sales and coupons, lots of coupons. In order to justify these purchases, Michelle explained to me that buying these clothes is an investment because they will last you for a long time. A good example would be those black slacks, I've had them for four years now. I would say they still look good!

Overall, my first day at FOX 5 was successful. I can talk more about my work there later. I have to go iron my outfit for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment