Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Going in the Field: What I Realized About Myself


While shooting FOX 5 reporter Dan Bowen's stand up,  I took pictures
for Twitter. The photo was published on my Twitter account on June 1. 
This photo (taken from my iPhone) describes Saturday, June 1. I went to FOX 5 thinking okay. I have one shift left. Then, I can just run to the train, hang out with my friends and chill. When I got there, it was completely empty. Only a few people were there. I was confused. When I arrive for my usual shifts, it is mayhem. 

2pm - 5pm on weekdays in a newsroom are extremely busy because reporters and everyone possible calls into the assignment desk and all of the writers and producers are working fast to get the shows together since there are three every day (5pm, 6pm and 10pm) --- it is terrifying and overwhelming. You get used to it but it is the polar opposite of FAIR, which is like being in the quietest section of the library. 

Well, the weekend is completely different. It's quiet, not a lot of people are there. Also, there are only two shows instead of three. I was able to do something really cool, which I can't do on weekdays. 

30 minutes into the day, the first reporter, Dan Bowens, was about to go out on his assignment, and he asked me, "Hey, do you want to come?" Who in their right mind would ever turn this down? The assignment editor said, "Yeah Sara, you can go." "Cool, yeah sure! Thanks!" and I grabbed my purse and went off. 

It was exciting. We went to Staten Island with a really cool cameraman. Both Bowens and the cameraman gave me a lot of advice. Going to the shoot was really exciting because people kept asking me questions, like "When is the show going to be on? What station are you with? Are you with the reporter?" I felt so professional! People at the event were also really happy that someone was covering this event. You see, there's been a string of violence the past few weeks against the LGBT community. FOX 5 has been covering the attacks closely, and being at the parade meant a lot to everyone that saw us. I think we were the only mainstream news outlet at the event, at least we were the only television crew.

When we got back to the studio, I was able to observe the editing process. It sounds dorky, but I really like editing and I am really familiar with using nonlinear editing software. After watching everything, I felt confident because what I learned in school and with on campus media is actually what happens in the real world! I guess that means my school is on top of everything!

Something really big happened that day. I've been in the field many times, but I never became fully aware of this before. I realized the other day that I actually want and need to be a reporter. Usually, I tell people "I'm happy with anything. I would like to learn how to produce, I love to edit and write, I would like to go on camera, but I just want a job after college --- I'll take ANYTHING."

Now, all I can think about is when I'm going in the field again.

No comments:

Post a Comment