Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The environment isn't funny! Well, the news coverage kind of is..

This is exciting: I am published again! (I've been working on a lot of things, but I finally got to write another blog post). Today, I came into work and one of my co-workers suggested that I research this. I love when people ask me to research, especially on broadcast news programs.

You see, I see that the media doesn't always cover really important topics thoroughly. They may brush over it and have a voice over. I mean, the President gave a big speech about the environment last week -- that doesn't happen every day, that at least deserves a soundbite after the anchor talks about it for 15 to 25 seconds. (15 - 25 seconds is the usual length of a voice over during a nightly newscast).

Below is a quick preview of my new blog post for FAIR on President Obama's speech.

----------------


Who would have thought the future of the environment was some kind of joke? It turns out comedians actually seem to care more about climate change than the people who produce real news programs do. 
Think Progress came out with an infographic yesterday (7/1/13) showing that the Sunday chat shows didn't so much as mention President Barack Obama's June 25 speech outlining a new climate change policy at Georgetown University. But a few late-night comedy shows and the Daily Show, a fake newscast on Comedy Central, found some time to cover the news. 
But let's give the networks a fair shake, shall we? A better comparison with a fake nightly news show is a real nightly newscast. So we looked at ABCCBS and NBC's 30-minute nightly newscasts to see how they covered the president’s speech.
----------------
Click here to read more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment