Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Timelines: why they're useful with big events

I'm going to be a little brief tonight because I am tired of being on my computer after work today. Never thought I would say that...

I was surfing the net, looking for news stories about the "March Against Monsanto" because one of my friends participated in the event. There weren't a ton of stories, but I really like the Russia Today (RT) timeline of the event. This specific coverage is really good because it gives an big picture of the event. It also includes a lot of multimedia, like Tweets, photographs and videos from all of the world. Yes, it's not all original coverage but the organization complied enough content to tell a well rounded story about the event.

So, I would suggest that if you're looking for a resource to fully understand an event, look for when news outlets create timelines. They are often by the hour and have multimedia aspects, which also help document events.

[On a side note, I never knew that RT existed until my Indy Media professor mentioned that he was interviewed by them. I thought that it was solely a Russia based website, but it is international.]

No comments:

Post a Comment