Tuesday, May 28, 2013

a FAIR rainy day

Usually when I work on long essays for my politics classes, I zip between Pinterest and Facebook to take a breather from reading and writing. Today, I worked so much and couldn't stop. I stayed a little late because I wanted to finish writing! Okay, well let me tell you about what happened this morning before I was writing and being productive.

There is a bus stop right in front of the apartment I'm staying in, and I missed my bus by 10 seconds. It's okay though, because another bus arrived a minute later. I hopped on the bus with my little yellow Metrocard. "Hi, how are you today?" I said to the bus driver, just about to put my Metrocard into the little slot so I can pay my fair. The bus driver put his hand over the slot, saying, "I'm sorry, this isn't the city bus." I was shocked. "Oh, oh I'm sorry," and I scurried out of the bus. The people who got off of the bus chuckled at me. I was so embarrassed, not the best way to start off my city adventure.

Luckily, the correct bus came by a few minutes later. Except there was so much traffic that the usual seven minute commute to the subway took twenty minutes. I was panicking. I can't be late on the first day! What would they think of me? What a foolish intern!  So, when the bus finally reached my stop, I ran off into the subway. Subways are really enjoyable for me. There are so many opportunities to people watch. I didn't see anyone of particular interest today, but if anyone is I will inform you.

Well, I got to FAIR. All safe and sound. Each intern gets their own desk, which is very exciting. To think; my own desk! That isn't all. Who would think that my job at FAIR was going to be to read articles and write about mainstream news coverage? These kinds of studies should be mandatory for all media based degrees because in one day I probably read fifty articles. Consuming media is so important because everyone should stay informed about the world. Something I noticed is that working with a smaller organization also allows interns to dive right into projects. I stayed a little late today to finish writing a short piece that will hopefully be edited this week on the coverage of an event this weekend. One day one I already wrote something.

After a wonderful day consuming vast amounts of media, I went outside to catch my subway in the rain. Yes. It started raining and I didn't read the weather report. Yes. I do go to school in Ithaca and usually look up the weather report, but forgot. So, when there wasn't a spot on the bus for me I walked  back to the apartment. It wasn't bad, it was sprinkling. I couldn't help but look at all of the people with their umbrellas, the tourists running around and people hiding under the scaffolding just to avoid a little rain. It was funny, the way everyone looked at me when I was walking, because I didn't really care about the rain. I had a better than fair first day, and a little drizzle wasn't going to get me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment