Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Climb


"We're almost there," I said heavily between deep breaths. 
"Wait, wait. Can we take a picture?" Kristina said quickly. 
We were both thinking the same thing: We have to prove that we did this - climbed the Tor



This was our first big excursion out of London, and this was probably my favorite part of the trip. We ventured on big coach buses to Glastonbury, just finishing up a few hours at Avebury and soon we would be off to Wells Cathedral and Bath. But this, I thought, is something I will never forget.

The air felt lighter as we went higher and higher, each breath although deep was invigorated by the freshness. My legs were in deep pain, but each inhalation recharged me and propelled me further up the mount.


Each time I peaked my head around, the landscape became more vast - it seemed almost endless.  Once Kristina and I made it to the top, we couldn't believe the view. The country side, the peaks of churches, the sheep!



We were greeted by friends at the top and waited for a few stragglers. We were so content that we actually accomplished this climb, that we forgot that we had to head back down. But, we just sat there. Enjoying the view. It felt like for hours even though it was just for about twenty minutes.

David with Bill, the Director of ICLC.

From left to right: Kristina, Dan, me and Jamie.

No comments:

Post a Comment