Sunday, September 22, 2013

Scratches deep within Marble: Wells Cathedral

I've seen cathedrals before - I was baptized in St. Patrick's in NYC. Let's say, I am used to seeing beautiful churches. But this took my breath away. I was on a high after climbing the Tor, but I didn't expect to feel all of the air taken out of me by walking through a holy place.


I wasn't going to take pictures originally, but I looked at Jamie and asked if I should. 

"You love taking them. Just look at the building and see if you want to." 


One glimpse and it. 


"I'm paying the three pounds. It's going to be worth it."  



It truly was. Each step there was something new, something ornate, something that was so utterly holy and filled with God that I couldn't help but take a moment and just look at it. 

One thing though, stood out. I felt complete pain trying to take a photo of the grave of bishops. Not only was it their final resting place, with a sculpture of them laying on top of their burial site, but they were graffitied on. People scrawled their names into the marble. I put up my camera and felt a gut pain that I've never felt before - my conscience saying Should I really do this? Should I really take this picture? What story am I telling? 

The first bishop, I put the camera down and just stared. I walked around, seeing another and another bishop graffitied on. Then I decided to take his photo - this was something that should be shared. 

A holy burial juxtaposed to eternal scratchings. 

Snap. Refocus. Snap. 





I've read that cameramen and photographers, especially ones that cover crime and wars, go through this debate - to show or not to show. It's the truth, but how can I show it the best and most appropriately?

I moved on. Letting it sink in.

The Cathedral has a lot of special things, like a beautiful organ, a clock that jousted on every quarter of the hour, and little chapels. Statues around every corner.





Endless arches, the sunlight just creeping down the walls - shadows casted in every inch of the molding. All stopped. though, and the alter. Seeing Mary & Joseph looking at Jesus. From behind, the view was just as moving.


The whole time we were there I was alone taking photos, but I didn't feel alone. 
I felt like I was surrounded by endless love and history. 
I realized that I want to feel that at all times.
[By far, the best three pounds I've spent in Britain.]

No comments:

Post a Comment