Monday, August 26, 2013

Day One: The One


Although my hair was slightly damp, beginning to curl naturally – uncontrollably. I pulled, trying to loosen the tight sheets while surfing the channels trying to find BBC news, but I didn’t really care. My eyes drifted in and out as I laid there, my pillow becoming cool from my hair. All of the tension easing from me.

Our flat mates, minus one, walked through the neighborhood. Homes all white or brick, making me feel as though I was near brownstones in Brooklyn except fancier. Learning to look down at the signs on the ground, directing unknowing travelers of which direction to actually look to see the small speedy European cars.

We made it. We were early for our appointment, but we crept up the tight stairs and entered into a small office with a man, Alan, and his wife. Both of whom were the nicest Londoners I’ve met outside of ICLC.

His office had plaques with sand-script, pictures of loved ones, and a small espresso maker. It was tight, the size of a walk in closet. 

“First, before we get started," he said, "Would you like candy?” He handed me a box of chocolates, we each took one. Very old school, I thought.

He's worked with ICLC before. He knew the deal, we were cheap and needed everything fully furnished. Silver ware, everything. We wouldn't break anything. We wanted to be in a safe neighborhood, near the school. 

“I will show you one flat for now. If you love it, you will get it. If you like it, we can lower price. For now, we will look at just this one.”

It was just down the road, less than a five minute walk away. It was the only building with scaffolding, the outside was just being repainted, but it would soon look like the other homes along the small street that I envied earlier.

We decided this was the one. Four girls to one room, two guys to the other. Large living room, an eat-in kitchen. Wifi and washer/dryer. Balcony (after the scaffolding is taken down). What more could we ask for? After negotiations, we were set to pay the deposit later that week. 

My eyes drifted. I had been awake for longer than I expected. I peered over at the clock. It was in military time. At that point, it wasn’t worth doing the math. It was clearly time to finally rest. The worst part was over and the fun was just about to begin.


This was the fourth piece in a four part series. For the beginning of the story, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment